
NEW YORK (NYTIMES) - Organisers of a high-profile summer tournament for world soccer's biggest club teams have decided to keep Juventus and its star Cristiano Ronaldo away from the United States this year, eliminating the risk of the Portuguese star's being detained by authorities as part of a rape investigation in Las Vegas.
While the bulk of the games in the tournament, the International Champions Cup, will take place in the United States as usual, Juventus' games will be a part of the Asian version of the annual event.
Juventus will be joined there - most likely in China and Singapore - by Premier League teams Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United.
Ronaldo, a five-time world player of the year, is in his first season in Italy's top league after Juventus paid more than US$114 million (S$154 million) to acquire him from Real Madrid last July.
Only months after his transfer, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said it had reopened an investigation into accusations by an American woman, Kathryn Mayorga, who said Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009 and later paid her US$375,000 for her silence.
Ronaldo and his lawyers repeatedly denied the rape accusation when it emerged in September; Ronaldo labelled it "fake news" in a video posted on one of his social media accounts, and at one point his lawyers threatened to sue the German newsmagazine that was the first to publish Mayorga's accusations.
Juventus stood behind its star, too, expressing appreciation for his "great professionalism and dedication" and saying Mayorga's accusations "do not change this opinion."
Â
Â
Â
Juventus has a multiyear agreement to play in the International Champions Cup, which is organised by New York-based Relevent Sports.
Ronaldo's legal troubles played a role in shaping plans for Juventus' participation, according to people familiar with this summer's schedule, which will be released next week.
A spokesman for Juventus, which is on course to win an eighth straight Italian league championship, said "going east" to Asia was normal after spending recent preseasons in the United States.
While preseason tours are not seen as serious competition, they are vital for teams' preparations before the new season, and Juventus would have drawn unwanted scrutiny had it travelled to the US without Ronaldo, its star attraction.
The case against Ronaldo resurfaced after German magazine Der Spiegel said it had obtained confidential documents related to the case, and the purported payment by Ronaldo to settle it, from whistleblower platform Football Leaks.
Around the same time, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said it had reopened its investigation into the rape accusation, following up on information it said had been provided by the victim.
Ronaldo, now 33, was a star at England's Manchester United when he met Mayorga, now 35, at a Las Vegas nightclub in 2009, just before his record-breaking transfer to Real Madrid. He invited her and others to his suite in the early hours of June 13, 2009, she said, where she says he sexually assaulted her.
A number of the documents Mayorga's lawyers say support her claim were published by Der Spiegel, which also published a lengthy interview with Mayorga. Ronaldo's lawyers have questioned the authenticity of some of the documents published by Der Spiegel but have not denied that Ronaldo and Mayorga had a sexual encounter, which they contend was consensual.
According to her lawsuit, Mayorga reported being assaulted to police later that day and underwent a medical examination, during which evidence was collected in what is sometimes known as a rape kit.
Las Vegas police have acknowledged that Mayorga filed a report and was examined, but police said she did not name her attacker at the time.
The case was reopened at Mayorga's request in September.

Experienced Liverpool making a big statement, says Jurgen Klopp. India World Cup team; Experienced Liverpool making a big statement, says Jurgen Klopp Football greats Cristiano Ronaldo,
Experienced Liverpool making a big statement, says Klopp

Football: AC Milan miss out on top-four finish in Serie A

Guardiola predicts roller-coaster title run-in after Liverpool blip. Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Arsenal - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - February 3, 2019
Manchester City Pep Guardiola predicts roller-coaster title

Football: Barcelona on verge of La Liga title after beating Alaves BARCELONA (REUTERS) - Barcelona have one hand firmly on the La Liga title after winning 2-0 at Alaves on Tuesday (April 23), leaving them 12 points clear at the top of the table with four games to play.
Barcelona on verge of Liga title after beating Alaves - CNA

LONDON(AFP) - Real Madrid have knocked Manchester United off the top of Deloitte's Football Money League, but the Premier League still flexed its financial muscle, with all of England's "Big Six
Manchester United : Real Madrid take top spot from Manchester

Football: Five games that tipped the scales in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's favour for the United job LONDON (AFP) - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been rewarded by Manchester United for engineering a remarkable turnaround in the club's fortunes since he took over from the sacked Jose Mourinho in December .
Football: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer named permanent Manchester

Tunisian media reported that officials were aware before the match that the VAR (video assistant referee) system was Tunisian club win African title after final abandoned over VAR
Tunisian club win African title after final abandoned over VAR

A post on the FA Cup's official Twitter account read: "Newport County goalkeeper Joe Day's wife has been close to giving birth to twins for days. "Tonight, she went into labour during The Exiles
Newport County keeper Joe Day attends birth of twins after FA

Wood double gives Burnley win over Cardiff in relegation scrap By Simon Evans Soccer Football - Premier League - Burnley v Cardiff City - Turf Moor, Burnley, Britain - April 13, 2019 Cardiff Citys Bruno Ecuele Manga in action with Burnleys Chris Wood REUTERS/Andrew Yates BURNLEY, England, (Reuter
Soccer-Wood double gives Burnley win over Cardiff in

Manu's decision to saddle up for another season with the Spurs only serves to reinforce the driving principle that has sustained the organization during their decade and a half run of dominance.
BASKETBALL: Camille Giardina has the drive to succeed

Kane Making 'Fantastic' Recovery, Says Spurs Boss Pochettino. Tottenham Hotspur's English striker Harry Kane celebrates scoring the opening goal during the English Premier League football match between Brighton and Hove Albion and Tottenham Hotspur at the American Express Community Stadium in Brighton, southern England on April 17, 2018.
Kane Making 'Fantastic' Recovery, Says Spurs Boss Pochettino

Fifa's Sepp Blatter calls on Iran to end stadium ban for women - The Guardian (March 6, 2015) Asia's elite group finalised - FIFA (February 19, 2015) Iran, Chile friendly in Austria confirmed - IRIB (February 15, 2015) Iran's national soccer team moves up in FIFA ranking - Press TV (February 12, 2015) Asian Cup
Iran dodges Asian Football Confederation sanction, football

Ralph Hasenhuttl: Southampton task more difficult than taking RB Leipzig to second in Bundesliga Southampton stay up after thrilling 3-3 draw with Bournemouth

"I'm not happy to play the second role. That's why I said next year I will need to have a more important role to play in the team." When asked whether he has already had offers to go elsewhere, Giroud added: "Yes but I won't reveal that now. The priority is Chelsea.
Giroud demands important role at Chelsea FC next season

Ten-man Schalke draw blank ahead of Manchester City clash | Football News February 16, 2019 John Football 0 BERLIN: Schalke 04 warmed-up for the Champions League visit of Manchester City with a goalless draw at home to fellow Bundesliga strugglers Freiburg on Saturday.
Ten-man Schalke draw blank ahead of Man City clash - Punch
0 Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen